Saka revels in 'perfect birthday present', thanking fans for backing him

Bukayo Saka described his goal against Andorra as a 'perfect birthday present' and thanked fans for backing him 'through thick and thin'.
The Arsenal star received hateful racist messages after he, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford did not score from the spot in a heartbreaking penalty shoot-out defeat against Italy in the Euro 2020 final.

But Saka has received plenty of support from team-mates and fans of other Premier League teams since, and on his first return to the Wembley pitch, eight weeks to the day after that fateful final, scored in the 85th minute at the same end.

He said: 'Yeah, it was the perfect 20th birthday present for me, and I can celebrate my birthday. I'm really happy with the reception everyone gave me, it meant a lot for me and I'm happy we got the win.

'It made a difference for me, I can hear so many fans cheering my name and it makes me believe everyone supports me through thick and thin which is nice.

'This is what I dreamed about, scoring a goal in front of my family at Wembley, I'm really happy.'

In a tweet after the match, he added: 'Thanks everyone for your messages today and to everyone in the stadium for the special atmosphere. I cannot ask for a better 20th birthday!'

Saka's header, after a clever short corner from Trent Alexander-Arnold, rounded off a comfortable Group I win for the Three Lions, who lie top of the group after five wins from five; Jesse Lingard with two, and Harry Kane were the other scorers on the day.

Pundits Ian Wright and Roy Keane insisted Saka could bounce back from the abuse and continue to have a successful career at international level, while manager Gareth Southgate described the Gunners winger's popularity with his team-mates.

Wright said: 'It happens, that's what happens in football. But he's young enough and good enough to get back to this stage.'

Keane added: 'He reacted well, football is about how you react to disappointments. What he had to deal with wasn't right, off the pitch, it's about how you react to it. He's moved on and he's going to have a great career.'

And Southgate concluded: 'He got a fabulous reception and you can see how popular he is with the rest of the team. I hope his goal gave him closure, if it was needed.'

Comments